19 Apr How to Prepare for Wisdom Teeth Removal
If you are in need of wisdom teeth removal, it is essential to do everything in your power to prepare for the procedure. Just a little preparation on your part can help the entire procedure go much more smoothly, eliminating chances for complications or potential issues. At University Dental in San Diego, we specialize in wisdom teeth removal, successfully helping patients remove their wisdom teeth in a safe and efficient manner. If you are interested in getting your wisdom teeth removed or would like to hear some other tips on how to prepare for wisdom teeth removal, contact us today by calling (619) 582-4224.
Can I Eat, Drink or Smoke Before the Surgery?
In general, you should abstain from eating or drinking anything, including water, for eight to twelve hours leading up to your wisdom teeth removal. In some cases, you may be permitted a light meal if the dental surgeon is using a local anesthetic, but if so make sure to brush and floss after eating to make sure your mouth is clean. As for smoking, make sure not to smoke any substance for at least twelve hours leading up to wisdom teeth removal, and afterward do not smoke for at least 24 hours.
What Do I Wear the Day of My Oral Surgery?
You should try to dress as comfortably as possible on the day of your surgery. Think light, loose, and short sleeves. You do not want something that will be tight-fitting or uncomfortable, and this is especially important if your wisdom teeth removal necessitates an IV drip. Also, do not dress to impress. While the oral surgeon will make try to be as careful and considerate as possible, there is a chance that your clothing might get stained during the procedure.
What Else Should I Do the Day of My Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Along with wearing casual, comfortable clothes, there are a few other things related to your appearance that you can do to make sure you are totally prepared for oral surgery.
- If you are a contact lens wearer, on the day of surgery keep the contacts out and instead opt for glasses, as the extended time with your eyes closed can dry out your lenses.
- Do not put on any makeup before surgery. You should, however, bring some chapstick as your lips may be in need of some moisture after the surgery.
- Avoid putting on any body spray, cologne, perfume, or anything else that is heavily scented. Your dental surgeon will be in the same room with you for a long time, and they may not be a fan of the same scents as you are.
- Avoid wearing any jewelry, as you will be asked to remove it before the surgery begins. Leave it at home for safe keeping.
- If you have very long or thick hair, you likely want to pin it back to keep it out of the surgeon’s way.
What If I Have to Cancel Oral Surgery?
If you have any doubts about your health, cancel your oral surgery. Even if it is just a case of some light sneezing and a runny nose, this can interfere with the surgery and possibly endanger the health of the dentists in the room. Just one sneezing fit mid-surgery is enough to derail any wisdom teeth removal procedure. Even if it is just allergies, if you feel that you are at risk to sneeze or sniffle, you might want to put off your oral surgery. If you have symptoms of the flu, make sure to cancel the surgery no matter what!
Wisdom Teeth Removal at University Dental in San Diego
If you follow all of the above guidelines to prepare yourself for wisdom teeth removal, the procedure is sure to go smoothly and without a hitch. The oral surgeons at University Dental are the best in all of San Diego, with experience and expertise with wisdom teeth removal. If you are interested in learning more about preparation for wisdom teeth removal or would like to schedule an appointment, contact University Dental today by calling (619) 582-4224.